NiSi review

»The filter system of NiSi in the test« 
Not so long ago I was contacted by the filter producer NiSi and since then I am one of their ambassadors. Before this time, filters were already part of my standard equipment and I could no longer imagine these are missing in my photo backpack. I used Formatt Hitech filters for a very long time, but after a few years, they already have gone through quite a lot and it was time for a new filter set.

My start package consisted of:
NiSi Filters Holder V5 
NiSi Polarizer
NiSi GND8 hard (0.9)
NiSi ND64 (1.8) 6 Stops 
Cleaning tool

ฟิลเตอร์ที่เข้าร่วมการทดสอบนี้ประกอบไปด้วยยยยยย
What first comes to mind when unpacking the filters is the packaging design. Okay, the content is important. But I was thrilled about the high quality and also nice looking packaging. The packaging of the single filters is very well done: Each filter was pounded in paper and shipped in a hard synthetic leather sleeve. Perfectly protected to transport them in the backpack without fear that they might break.
There is also a filter case in the same design, which is very stable and has slots for up to 6 filters. Unfortunately my version does not have a buckle, to fasten the bag on my belt. Therefore, I always carry the NiSi filter bag as an inlay in my Lowepro filter bag.
The NiSi filter holder comes in a similar case, which offers even space for the adapter rings that are included (67mm, 72mm, 77mm). The highlight of the NiSi filter holder is certainly the integrated ultra slim polarizer, which I will go into next. 


NiSi Polarizer 
A polarization filter is a must have in any camera equipment. If the filter is used at a 90 degree angle to the sun, the effects are particularly noticeable. The sky is dark blue, and the clouds stand out from the sky. The green of forests and meadows becomes richer, because the polarizing filter suppresses disturbing reflexes of the sky. It is also possible to minimize disturbing reflections on water surfaces or to minimize them completely. In this way, things are clearly visible, which are under the surface of the water.
As mentioned above, the NiSi polarizing filter is integrated into the filter holder and can be rotated by small wheels while all filters are placed. If you want to rotate the polarizing filter, you don't need to remove the filter holder. This is very useful. Just like all other filters, the polarizer is very easy to clean.
Graduated neutral density filter | NiSi GND8 hard (0.9)
Our human eye can adapt to different light conditions. You can see the details of the bright and the dark areas at the same time. Unfortunately, our camera can not do this. However, in order to produce a balanced exposure, I use Graduated neutral density filters. In this way, I can darken light areas and make the shot more balanced. The hard gradient filter is perfectly suited for images with a clear border, such as the sea level.
Before I worked with NiSi, I used filters of the size 100x125 mm. Now I had 100x150 mm filters. More possibilities! I was also impressed by the real glass. At first glance, it was a wow effect. NiSi uses optical glass with nanocoating. My test recordings showed me that there is no considerable color cast and no reduction of sharpness. Many filters produce a color cast because the light can not pass through the filter equally. NiSi has done a good job here! The coating also makes the filters quick and easy to clean.

Neutral density filter | NiSi ND64 (1.8) 6 Stops 
I use a ND filter to be able to expose shots longer. For example, to soften water surfaces or create cloud movements. Many manufacturers offer a round ND filter with thread. But NiSi decided to offer a square ND filter. So you need to use the filter holder. Sounds stupid first, but this avoids vignetting when using wide angle lenses and other filters. The NiSi ND filter is made of neutral density glass. It does not change the colors and is without loss of quality. The filter is also easy and fast to clean.

My conclusion
The NiSi filter system is the best I have ever used. The glass filters have no noticeable color cast, no reduction in sharpness, and are easy to clean. The NiSi filter holder V5 is high-quality processed and offers the advantage of the integrated polarization filter. It is easy to handle and can be easily adjusted without unscrewing the filter holder.
For me, NiSi is a top brand among the filter manufacturers. I am proud to be part of their ambassador team and would recommend their system to every landscape photographer. If you have any questions, feel free to write me a message via the contact menu.
In Germany the filters are available via Amazon.de and Ringfoto GmbH & Co.

Comments