Nisi Horizon Filter Martijn

Kort April 6, 2017

If you want to capture beautiful sunsets ,you can’t live without filters.
Capturing the world as we see it, all in-camera. That is something difficult with sunrises and sunsets. The dynamic range is just too big for our camera sensors to capture it all.

If you want to achieve the best results, filters are needed.You have to darken the sky and the sun to get an even exposure of both the foreground and the sky.

NiSi has recently launched a new filter for landscape photography, the Horizon Filter.
I hear you thinking, why would I need a horizon filter when I have a normal graduated ND filter in my bag? Well it can help you in those situations where you have a bright sunset with dark clouds above the sun.

With a normal Grad ND filter you would have darkened the clouds even more, making them too dark. The Horizon filter however would have prevented this.
I have been using the filter for some time now and I must say it’s a welcome adition to my filter kit.










Specifications
Filter specs
The Nisi Horizon filter is a 1.2 grad ND filter beginning from the middle and extending both up and down.
It’s made for the 100mm system and measures 100 x 150 mm.
It has the signature nano coating of NiSi filters so cleaning it will be easy.

Conclusion

The filter is made for some specific conditions so you won’t take it out on every sunset shoot. But the conditions it’s made for are those where a normal grad ND wouldn’t help you.

So to me this a very welcome new filter,which I can highly recommend.

Comments